Sunday, February 20, 2005

Romance

I watched The Notebook last night with Lewis and Jamie Gray. Being the emotional trainwreck that I am, I started crying toward the very beginning of the movie. I read the book a few years ago and so I knew the story, but there is something different when you watch it come alive from another perspective.

I admit, I prefer books because I have more say in what happens, what people look like etc... Plus if it ends unhappily then I create my own ending. I did enjoy this movie almost as much as the book though. A Walk to Remember is another book by Sparks and is one of my personal favorites. I found the movie to be a huge disappointment, but others liked it better so...?...

Modern day romance - as portrayed by Hollywood - affects me too much. I really try not to watch too many girlie love stories because I feel they are just setting me up for disappointment. A love that is of this world, no matter how great, could never "take me away from everything", a common notion in movies. After watching so called "chick flicks", I feel sad or depressed by thoughts of never having what I see on the screen. Not only do I feel bad about myself, that maybe I'm not good enough to have someone love me that much (I'm not what they're looking for), but it also distorts what I'm looking for.

Without movie fever I feel confident of what I want in a relationship/ marriage, but when you throw in a story like The Notebook I get confused somewhat. I get scared that I will settle for less than what the couple on screen has.

I don't want to settle - ever. I would rather be alone, it's only a breath after all.
I equally don't want to lose a man that God has chosen for me (if that's His will) just because I'm pining after a fabricated character in some stupid movie.

The extremely girlie side of me - which let's face it, is about 95% - longs to have even more than what I see in movies. Thinking that when it is the one God has set aside for me I will know, and he will love me like what I've seen in all those movies, but better because God will be the center. Maybe that kind of relationship really does exist. Those ideas and characters had to come from somewhere, right?

The other 5% says "Shelly, wise up!" There isn't anything like that and it isn't important anyway. In movies the characters idolize each other. Suppose they are fabulously happy until they pass away. The point is, they will pass. I don't want the most joy I ever experience to come from my time spent on Earth. There is so much more and it is so much greater.

The spoiled little princess in me : Why can't I have it all? A husband who totally adores me and that I equally adore. Both of us completely submitted to the Lord and each other, working together to edify Him and one another. Why can't my husband build me a house, wait for me forever, desire no one else, and still love and serve the Lord?

I want to be with someone because we know that life with anyone else would be less. Not because we are lonely, or impatient, or whatever other millions of reasons people end up together.

At the same time, I don't want my husband to put me before his relationship with the Lord, nor do I want to lead our relationship.
Honestly, I just want to submitt and be taken care of. I realize this sounds antiquated, but, be honest ladies, we really just all want to be loved, taken care of, protected, and encouraged in God's will.

The truth be told, we can have all of the above with God, we don't need a husband/boyfriend. God loves me, provides for me, protects me and leads me.
It would be nice though, to share the burdens of this life with someone else. To have someone hold me when I'm upset, tell me how much they love me when I really mess up, and someone to encourage me when I feel hopeless. I suppose this can come from friendships, but for all of us that have tasted what it is to really love someone of the opposite sex - it just isn't the same.

Man, see how these movies make me think. Just a bit ago I could have cared less about a human relationship. Now I'm a mess. Life?!?! Romance?!?! Societal imposed expectations?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home