Saturday, January 15, 2005

Beauty

What makes something beautiful?
I imagine each person would answer this differently. There is so much beauty in this world (and in our imaginations) that it can't be fully expressed through words. However, since that is the medium at my disposal........
I've been thinking about what I find beautiful and why. Snowy mornings are captivating for me, but perhaps because they are a fairly new experience. In the beginning many people are beautiful and intriguing, but the beauty too often fades as they are more fully known. On the contrary, beauty can grow over time, not only for people but places as well.
If it is not the newness (since many places and people I grew up around are quite breathtaking), then maybe it is the characteristics or feelings they represent. The purity of an all white ground, untouched, delicate, and serene; children who are uncensored, boundless, and fervent; both are beautiful to me because of what they represent in my mind and the emotion they evoke from my heart.

Everyone has heard, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." This is true, but I can't help believe that some things are beautiful to everyone whether they recognize or admit it as such.
Humility in the face of pride, a person standing firm against great opposition, revalations of truth, surely all evoke strong emotion from any heart. Any act performed from pure faith and assurance, without a care of other's opinions, is captivating.
Think of the most beautiful people you have ever known, somone you truly admire - did they not act of their own accord despite other's opinions and exhibit great inner strength in some form at some point in time?

Maybe beauty is just the term that I use to describe whatever is summoning great emotion and reactions from my heart.
In passing I think of beauty as physical characteristics of an object, something to be seen by the eyes, but in truth it is so much more.

The most beautiful thing I have ever witnessed was a truly selfless act of love for another that went completely unoticed - and was meant to.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home