Thursday, February 10, 2005

Givers & Takers

Some people are givers and others are takers. We've all heard this before, but it's an interesting way to categorize people. Of course we shift between giver and taker depending on the relationship, but everyone spends the majority of their time on one side.

So...I'm a taker. This sucks - not something I want to admit about myself.

Why do I write these things on a public blog!? Perhaps as a way to gain humility or maybe because I'm too afraid to say things out loud(then they become real). Whatever the case...here it is.

My schedule is very busy, but I could make time for people if I really wanted to. I have been blessed with wonderful family and friends, yet I neglect them. I called my grandaddy this morning - after he had called me 3 times over the past 2 weeks. He was so excited to hear my voice and all I could think was, "Why are you excited to talk to me? I have put a ton of trivial things ahead of you for weeks now." Still, he was grateful for the phone call and time he did get to spend with me. I wish I were more like my grandaddy. He is a very Godly and humble man - never angry over little things and thankful for even the smallest joys in the midst of pain.

I was a selfish child as well. Always taking from my mother and not trying to understand our situation - whatever it was at the time. We can never escape our past - what we've said to people, ways we've treated them, but we can love them well today. I want to love my family and friends with all that I am. I also want to love God this way; with my whole heart, mind, and soul.

Jesus is a giver. We are all takers. The small gifts of praise and worship that we give back are filthy rags, yet He loves us more. "I want to offer up my life as a sacrifice of praise." -one of my favorite songs

Even my life is nothing because I am only giving back what is already His.

".....Each man's life is but a breath." Psalm 39:5


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home