Sunday, June 26, 2005

Treasure

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." ~Luke 12:32-34

I took a break from studying last night and went to visit a friend up the street. This verse reminds me of him. I so admire the way his life shows obedience to God's word in ways such as this. Giving up worldly comforts and giving to the poor (possessions, time, and love) is not easily done - as you probably know. Yet, he does it with such grace and humility.
My path has crossed with so many memorable people and I must say that he is another whose trust and love for the Lord have taught me a great deal in a short amount of time.

some days I feel like giving away everything and moving to the most "needy" places on earth. It sounds so freeing! Oh how sweet to have nothing but what you give to others. Other days I cling to small comforts in the midst of chaos. Still other days I remember that not all who are needy appear the same. Finances, appearance, location - these are not indicators of someone's spiritual needs and moreover, many in need are but feet away from me.

Lord, I pray that you will release me from the chains of worldly pleasures and comforts. Give me the heart of a servant and help me be obedient to your will. Open my eyes to the true treasures of this life and the needs of those around me. ~Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home