Thursday, June 02, 2005

Mail

WANTED: white mail, penned with familiar style, post marked from a meaningful place

There have been great gains in technology over the past decades, of which I am thankful for and take full advantage. With all great gains though, are great losses. As some of you know, I have an ongoing quandary with my position on some aspects of technology-namely TV. On one hand, I could list several positive effects, but tonight I am thinking of many losses.
While I could provide a long, detailed, and frankly boring list - there is no need. My underlying reasoning for adding each item to the list would most likely be the same. The way I see it, the most profound loss has been the loss of the personal. I do not mean personal in the private sense, but rather a personal touch, a connectedness. Example: This blog is a reflection of me, but perhaps not as complete a picture as a letter (in my own handwriting, with tear marks or coffee stains) would be.
There is something to be said for time and effort. There is little effort involved with typing out my random thoughts such as this. If, however, I were to write a letter to each of you, it would require a great deal more on my part. Even if every letter said the same thing, they would be different, and they would be weighted with a piece of my intent, effort, and time.

I originally started this entry because I received a personal letter. I LOVE getting mail! - real mail, not email. Not that a friendly note through email isn't nice or meaningful, and even at times quite exciting - some things will just never be as good as the original. I love that with real mail - as soon as I see the stationary, penmanship, or rough edges - I see the person who sent it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home