Monday, October 24, 2005

Aftermath

Aftermath

I don’t know why I did it. I know better.
Yet here I sit wadded Kleenex all around me, my eyes red and squinty, and my head is beginning to hurt a bit from fighting back this episode as long as possible. Perhaps next time I will just begin sobbing at the very beginning of the movie. Maybe that way I can skip the headache and just concentrate on seeing through my puffy eyelids.

So………..tonight in a weak moment, while trying to avoid homework, I decided to watch a girly movie. Oh yes, and not just a girly movie; for me it’s “the” girly movie. I say “the” because it is somewhat realistic, inspires me to be a better person, and it is God centered. Okay, perhaps love is the center and God is a close second. After all, it is a girly movie. Actually, I take that back. God is the center – at least from my perspective. The movie is based on my all time favorite book, “A Walk to Remember.” I read it years ago and it had a tremendous affect on my life. Some of you might find this silly since the book is so simple. I admit it isn’t a “must read” for most people. And I’m pretty positive it didn’t make any top ten lists or have a profound affect on our society. Yet, its simplicity is part of its brilliance. If you have seen the movie and not read the book – do yourself a favor.
As I said, the core of the story, like in so many films, is love. The twist is that it’s love between two people under the shadow of the love of God. It shows how God’s love is so much bigger than our conventional portrayal. Love can manifest as butterflies in your stomach, a feeling of understanding or even a commitment; but it can also be tears, despair, and confusion.
I’m sure that I’ve written it before …….. The opposite of love is not hate, but apathy.
The way I see it, love is part of everything that is worth anything here – even pain.
This movie, and much more so the book, speaks not only to the joy of love and life but also to the pain and suffering that are undoubtedly part of both.
I could say so much more about what this story reveals to me, but I would still not do it justice.

“It’s the beauty of simplicity that fills me with eternity.” ~ Telecast

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home