Saturday, May 21, 2005

Sweet Home

Alabama
Okay, I am back from a week in AL and quite homesick. Its weird because the majority of my life there was spent dreaming about moving to bigger and more exciting places. Don't ask how I ended up in St. Louis ;o)

It isn't the state I miss, it's my family and friends. I never noticed is before, but I draw a considerable amount of my groundings from them. They encourage and love me through memories (positive & negative), without even knowing it. Just one look from my friend Tiffany can change my entire thought pattern. Maybe it sounds funny, but a look is sometimes all it takes to make me notice how empty and removed from myself certain thinking is. Because of moments like that, I am more myself when I'm at home than I might ever be somewhere else.
It's just that they remind me of why I am who I am, and where I'm headed.
At home, I have very little ( if any ) inhibitions. I think w
atching someone grow into the person that they are gives you more insight, and often that insight manifest itself as compassion, patience, and understanding.

I'm convinced this is why so many people are drawn back into relationships with people they grew up around. There is an instant comfort on some level that is hard to duplicate.


Here in St. Louis, I have been blessed with several wonderful friendships that I would never trade. I hope that what I've been discussing doesn't discount their meaning to me. My purpose is simply to note the difference in myself, and perhaps others, when we are in a place and around people that have been present for the majority of our lives.

Surely, there is someone or a certain place that just by closing your eyes and imagining them you are taken back into a deeper part of your character. There are several of these images for me and each one can give me strength, encouragement, or a gut check, depending on the situation.

I guess my thought is simply this: It's nice to have people there to remind you of your path when you forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home